Getting a Real ID Online.
Beginning on October 1, 2021, the federal government will require your driver license, permit or ID card to be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.), or enter military bases and certain federal facilities. Apply for Real ID | Enhanced Driver’s License online
If you get a REAL ID driver license, you may make certain declarations regarding voting, organ donation, Selective Service eligibility, veteran status and special designation indicators such as Autism, Hearing Impaired, and Intellectual Disability. Instructions for these designations are available at the link below:
Documentation required to get a Real ID
- Proof of identity, such as valid license, birth certificate or passport
- Proof of Social Security Number or Social Security Number ineligibility.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residency or temporary lawful status in the U.S.
- proofs of State residence such as utility bill, bank statement or mortgage statement (P.O. Box not acceptable). This address will be displayed on your card.
Starting October 1, 2021 (the deadline was extended by one year), all U.S. travelers 18 and older (kids traveling domestically with an adult don’t need to provide identification) will be required to present a driver’s license that is considered Real ID compliant when passing through airport security. Apply for Real ID | Enhanced Driver’s License online
If you don’t have a compliant ID by that date, you will have to show another acceptable form of identification to fly within the United States, such as a valid passport, permanent resident card, or Department of Homeland Security trusted traveler program card, such as Global Entry or Nexus.
Each state handles the issuance of driver’s licenses and identification cards independently, and each state has its own Real ID requirements. Thus, the requirements vary slightly from state to state. But typically, the main difference in applying for and getting a Real ID–compliant license versus a non compliant one lies in the documentation you need to provide.
Uses of Real ID
A REAL ID is optional and is needed for the following:
- Being licensed to drive
- Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
- Applying for or receiving Federal benefits
- Voting or registering to vote
- Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations
- Accessing health or life preserving services (including hospitals and health clinics), law enforcement, or constitutionally protected activities (including a defendant’s access to court proceedings)
Get an enhanced driver license online
The enhanced driver’s license is a cost-effective and convenient document that meets driving, identification and border-crossing needs. It is a federally approved document that allows you to re-enter the U.S. when traveling by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. While not required, the enhanced license is an excellent alternative to a standard license because it is especially handy for business travel, vacations or quick trips. Several border states, in addition to Michigan, offer an enhanced license. Apply for Real ID | Enhanced Driver’s License online
Requirements needed To apply:
- A valid Social Security number (for example, a Social Security card)
- U.S. citizenship
- pay for the standard enhanced license
NOTE: If you travel internationally and already have a passport, this won’t be such a big issue because your passport can serve as a stand-in until you obtain a Real ID–compliant driver’s license. But if you plan on flying domestically after October 1, 2021, and your passport will have expired or you currently don’t have a passport, getting a Real ID is something you will need to do.
Related Documents & Topics
- Enhanced License Fees
- Enhanced learner permit.
- Renew Driver License
- Documents Required for an Enhanced License or ID (PDF)
- Where to Apply for an Enhanced License or ID
- enhanced, REAL ID and standard documents.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection – Requirements for Residents on Vacation