Getting a learner’s permit in Pennsylvania is the first step in getting your Pennsylvania Driver’s License for those who have never been licensed or whose license expired more than 6 months ago. The permit allows you to drive supervised at all times by a licensed adult 21 years of age or older. Buy Pennsylvanian Driver’s License.
NOTE: s of October 31, 2010, Pennsylvania no longer accepts as proof of identification Puerto Rico-issued birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010. New, more secure birth certificates are available online or by mail. Visit the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration website for full instructions on applying for new certificates.
Apply for your Learner’s Permit in Pennsylvania
Permit holders under the age of 18 are encouraged to schedule their exam at this time for 6 months from the date their initial permit was issued. Leading up to the date of their skills test, if the student does not feel comfortable they may reschedule their exam for a future date. www.dmv.pa.gov
Once you turn 16 years old, you can apply for a Junior Learner’s Permit. Visit your local PennDOT office and be prepared to take a vision screening and knowledge test. You will want to study a Pennsylvania Driver’s Manual for the written exam. You can pick up a copy at your local PennDOT Driver License Center or read the online version. getting your Pennsylvania Driver’s License
- Proof of identity
- Social Security card
- proof of residency (only if you are 18+)
Pennsylvania learner’s permit driving restrictions
When you have your PA learner’s permit, you must follow these restrictions:
- You can only drive with an adult who is 21 years or older or a parent/guardian who is at least 18 years old and holds the same or higher driver’s license
- You cannot drive between the hours of 11pm and 5am
- Traveling to work or for charitable services is allowed during this time with the proper documentation
- You cannot have more passengers than seatbelts
Regular PA (Unrestricted) Driver’s License
You’re finally ready to drive with all the freedom of an adult. Before you can get your Senior Driver’s License at 17½ years old, you need to complete a driver education course. Our course is state-approved and will satisfy this requirement.
- Have no driving violations within the past year
- Have no at-fault accidents within the last year
- Held your Junior Driver’s License for at least a year
- Have the approval of your parent/guardian or spouse
Classes of Driver’s Licenses
Non-commercial Driver’s Licenses
- CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds. Buy Pennsylvanian Driver’s License.
- CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more. getting your Pennsylvania Driver’s License @DMV after “tried and failed”
- CLASS C (minimum age 16):A Class C driver’s license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B Driver’s License.
- CLASS M (minimum age 16): A Class M driver’s license will be issued to those persons 16 years of age or older who have demonstrated their ability to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. If a person is qualified to operate only a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, they will be issued a Class M driver’s license. If you test on a motor-driven cycle, an “8” restriction will appear on your driver’s license. getting your Pennsylvania Driver’s License
Commercial Driver’s Licenses
CLASS A (minimum age 18): A Class A license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class A license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class B or Class C license is issued. Buy Pennsylvanian Driver’s License.
CLASS B (minimum age 18): A Class B license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 10,000 pounds. The holder of a Class B license is qualified to operate vehicles for which a Class C license is issued.
CLASS C (minimum age 18): A Class C license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than 26,000 pounds or any combination of vehicles, except combination vehicles involving motorcycles, that does not meet the definition of a Class A or Class B vehicle. Apply for Pennsylvania Driver’s License
If you have completed your course and meet all of the above requirements, congratulations! You are ready to become a fully licensed driver in the state of Pennsylvania.
Replacing Your Driver’s License
A duplicate Pennsylvania Non-Commercial Driver’s License is issued when the current product is lost, stolen, mutilated, or was never received.
If PennDOT has your photo and signature on file, you can apply for a duplicate non-commercial license online. When your application is complete, you will be able to print off a temporary driver’s license good for 15 days while your duplicate is processed and mailed.
Please note: If you have not reconciled an outstanding sanction(s) in another state(s), PennDOT is unable to issue you any driver’s license product. For more information, please see the
By October 2021, if you don’t have a Real ID, passport or trusted traveler program card (such as Global Entry), you will not be able to fly. Apply for Pennsylvania Driver’s License
696 E Fordham Rd, The Bronx, NY 10458, USA
+1 917 310 2719