At age 16, you may apply for a special learner’s permit in the state of New Jersey. You and your parent or guardian need to visit the local Motor Vehicle Commission office and bring required identification documents and proof of enrollment in a driver training course. Teens age 17 may apply for an examination permit without proof of enrollment in a driver training course. You must pass the written driver’s knowledge test and a vision test to receive a special learner’s permit or examination permit. Getting New Jersey driver’s license
Upon completion of a driver training course and with a special learner’s permit, you may begin practice driving only if you are accompanied in the front seat by a driver age 21 or older who has been licensed in New Jersey for at least 3 years. Teens with an examination permit may begin practicing driving without completing a driver training course. While practicing driving, you are required to display the GDL decal in the vehicle. You may not drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. (some exemptions granted). No more than one passenger, other than your parents, guardians and dependents, is allowed (in addition to the supervising driver). You and all your passengers are required to wear seat belts. Buy New Jersey driver’s license
- Primary ID Document. (Valid passport)
- Proof of address.
- Validated learner’s permit
- Original I-20 (F-1/F-2) or DS-2019 (J-1/J-2) Form
- A Social Security Card is also required unless you are not eligible to obtain one. For driver’s license application purposes, J-2 (without Employment Authorization Document – EAD), F-2 and H-4 holders should request a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) indicating they are not eligible for a social security number
- A fee to be paid at the agency by credit/debit card, cash, check, or money order (payable to NJMVC). apply for a New Jersey driver license
Driver’s license for non Citizens
In other to obtain a driver’s license as a non citizen, you must have temporary visa status and fit into one of the following categories to apply for a New Jersey driver license:
- reaty traders
- Students and their families
- Temporary workers, accompanying spouses and children
- Foreign information representatives and their families
- Exchange visitors and their families
- Intra-company transfers, accompanying spouses and minor children
- Persons with temporary protection from deportation
- Canadians with temporary residence
- Religious ministers and spouses
- Parents of U.S. citizens
- International athletes or entertainment groups
- Persons in a reciprocal exchange program
- Students and their families with an (F) visa must show INS Form I-20, student identification cards or certification on school letterhead indicating status and their I-94 passport
- You may use your country’s driver license as proof of driving experience if you have an International Driver Permit issued by your country or if your country is a member of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic and your license is translated into English by a consulate or an MVC approved translator
- If you are under 18 years old, you are subject to GDL Program requirements
- “If you are in H-1B or L-1 status and do not have current USCIS documentation, you must bring a certification like this H-1B or L-1 240 Day Extension Certificate with your 6 Point ID documents to an MVC agency. Buy New Jersey driver’s license
Getting your New Jersey driver’s license:
Teens that have held a probationary license for one year without any suspensions or postponements and are at least 18 may apply for a full driver license. You must visit your local Motor Vehicle Commission office and bring your probationary license and the required identification documents. Buy New Jersey driver’s license. The process is similar with that of the state of Virginia.
Quick Links for Up-to-Date Information on apply for a New Jersey driver’s license:
- Vehicle Classifications
- Commercial Vehicles
- Transferring Vehicle Ownership
- Out-of-State Vehicles
- License Plates
- Sold, Junked or Destroyed Vehicles
- Document Changes, Requests & Issues
- Vehicle Registration
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Title Fees
- NJ Drivers License Information
- Renewing your NJ Drivers License
- Testing & Preparation
- Licensed Driving Schools
- 6 Point ID Verification
- Replacing an Out-Of-State License
- Organ Donor
- Address Changes
- Automobile Safety
- Traffic Regulations
- Penalties & Fines
- Pay Tickets Online
- NJSA Point Schedule
- NJ Surcharges
- Interstate Violations
- License Suspension
- Driving Under the Influence – DUI
- Parking Violations
- Commercial Drivers License Violations
- Driver Improvement Courses
Renewal Your New Jersey driver’s license online
If you received a license renewal form in the mail, it will indicate whether you are eligible to renew online.
If you don’t have the form, that’s okay. When you go through the process, you will be notified if there is a reason you need to renew in person at a Licensing Center.
- A valid Drivers License Number
- A valid Social Security Number
- Access to a printer (needed if you want to print an interim license and/or a receipt)
- A valid email address
- A valid credit card
Getting your Commercial Driver License (CDL)
To get your CDL, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a basic New Jersey driver’s license (Class D).
- Have 20/40 vision in each eye with or without glasses.
- Be able to recognize red, green and amber colors.
- Be physically fit*in other to be able to apply for a driver’s license.
Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) and restrictions
- V – Restriction for medical variance (the driver must also have the hard copy variance issued by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).
- K – Restriction for Intrastate only.
- L – Restriction for vehicles with no air brakes.
- P – No passenger restriction on CLP, if CLP has a P endorsement.
- X – No Cargo in Tank restriction, if CLP has an N endorsement.
Commercial Driver License (CDL) and restrictions
- E – No manual transmission equipped CMV (If you take the test in a CMV with an automatic transmission, you will receive the E restriction and are prohibited from operating a CMV with a manual transmission).
K – Intrastate only.
- Q – 15 Passengers or less
- V – Medical variance.
- Z – No full air brake equipped CMV.
- O – No tractor trailer CMV.
Commercial Driver License
Commercial Learner Permits (CLP)
Transfer out-of-state CDL
Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) Endorsements (HME)
Commercial Driver License Self-Certification and Medical Examiner’s Certificate
Commercial Driver License Violations
Commercial Driver License (CDL) Manual
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Commercial Vehicle and Registration Information
Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional Trailer Registration
696 E Fordham Rd, The Bronx, NY 10458, USA
+1 917 310 2719